The roof frame forms the skeleton of the roof.
Its structure is designed to last a long time and resist all weathers. Inside, the structure – whether it can be seen or not – has an impact of the appearance of the ceilings. The timber species used for traditional roof frames are selected for their high resistance, hardness and architectural assets. Solid timber cuts can have a moisture content of 12% to 20% and are class 2 treated to counter biological hazards and meet regulation requirements.
You need to specify the following characteristics.
To find out more, simply click on the technical files
Choosing the right species
- Fir tree, spruce: most commonly used (species file)
- Douglas fir: highly decorative, red colour, hardwood (species file)
- Scots pine: highly decorative, fine grain (species file)
Choosing the right quality
- Ordinary timber frame or C18 (used for rafters, joists etc.) (technical file)
- Visible frame or C 24 (enhancing the design) (technical file)
Choosing the right timber cut
Choosing the right section
- Thickness: 27 mm then from 40 to 400 mm (by multiples of 20 mm)
- Width: from 40 to 600 mm (by multiples of 20 mm)
- In stock: 27 x 40 mm, 27 x 60, 27 x 80, 27 x 160, 40 x 160, 40 x 200, 40 x 220, 60 x 80, 60 x 100, 80 x 100, 80 x 160, 80 x 200, 80 x 220
- Usual section by special order: 27 x 200 mm, 100 x 200, 100 x 240, 100 x 300, 160 x 160, 200 x 200
Choosing the right length
- From 3 m to 13.5 m (by multiples of 50 cm)
Choosing the right drying method
- Artificial timber drying (duration about one week) (technical file)
Choosing the right planing method
- Planed square edge only (technical file)
- Planed 4 sides + 4 small flat chamfers over the length (technical file)
- Rabbet or customised planing (iron profiles on request)
Choosing the right milling
- Milling “according to instructions” (specification sheet supplied by customer) (technical file)
Choosing the right treatment
- Class 2 colourless treatment: protects against wood-boring insects and fungi. Necessary to daub cut-outs after treatment. Accepts all coloured finishes. (technical file)
- Restol finish with linseed oil (technical file)
We can deliver complete packs of standard dimensions of the same section and length.
Carpenters and home-builders?
We can supply you with cuts “according to instructions”, i.e. each board cut to size according to the sections you require.