Scierie Mandray, 5 generations of sawyers

Founded by Jean-Baptiste Mandray in 1850,
the Scierie Mandray sawmill has been passed down from father to son for 5 generations.
Our main activity consists in sawing and cutting fir tree, spruce, Douglas fir and Scots pine for carpenters, glue-laminated wood manufacturers, timber-frame houses, packing firms and industrialists. Our sawmill has developed a number of enhanced services such as drying, planing, milling, nailing and treatment.

 

1850

Jean-Baptiste Mandray, then a timber merchant carrying his wares down river on the Meurthe between Saint-Dié, Saint-Nicolas-de-Port and Nancy, launched his sawmill near Saint-Dié-des-Vosges (Lorraine).

1890

He handed the business over to his son, Auguste Mandray. The company then boasted 4 sawmills in Taintrux, Les Trois Scieries and Aux Rouges-Eaux.

1922

The building in Les Trois Scieries was converted to replace the two vertical drop saws, roller saw and circular saw.

1930

The plant became electrically operated. The turbine for the hydraulic conduit from the lake was set up together with a transformer to power the band saw and circular saw.

1932

Pierre Mandray, son of Auguste, took over the sawmill – he was the 3rd generation.

1944

Partial destruction of the sawmill from the shells of the liberating army.

1967

Louis Mandray, son of Pierre, converted the private company into a public limited company (SA) and decided to mechanise handling: Keienburg gantry and fork-lift truck (1968)

1975

A new André band saw was purchased.

1980

The sawmill took on industrial proportions: 2,000 m² of additional buildings and installation of a twin André. Output increased from 30 to 80 m² per day.

1989

New Primultini headrig with the first Slabbers installed in France (imported from Quebec).

1990

Launching of the nailing workshop for special pallets.

1991

Philippe Mandray was appointed CEO after his father: the 5th generation had arrived. His brother and sister, Olivier and Isabelle, were there to back him up. The first drier was launched at this time. It operated full time right from the outset.

1995

Replacement of the twin by a multi-blade circular saw. A computerised system was installed for the entire production line.

1996

The first Weinig planing machine was brought in for large timber sections.

First profit-sharing scheme introduced for the employees.

1997

Production and delivery of the very first giant-size cooling tower to Brazil (60 containers).

1998

Investment in a Hundegger CNC milling centre for joinery assemblies according to carpenters’ plans.

2001

New extension: 1,500 m² of additional buildings and launch of an edge-sawing machine with a scanner and automatic sorting line.

2003

The sawmill obtained PEFC certification (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification). It was one of the first in France.

2004

Second drier launched.

2006

Replacement of the band saw headrig.

2007

Total overhauling of the log yard. Installation of a double twin.

2009

Second milling machine. Three years before being legally obliged to do so, the sawmill obtained EC certification and marking on timber structures.

2010

Installation of a Weinig 7 profiling and tooling centre to process cladding and decking.